Change drivers in the operating environment
Changes in consumer behaviour, the fragmentation of the advertising market, intensifying competition and technological development have changed media consumption and marketing at a very rapid rate. Alma Media faces different forces of change in the company's operating environment.
Economic trends in operating countries
- Economies of all Alma Media's major operating countries are decelerating.
- Classified advertising is sensitive to economic fluctuations. Advertising market overall continues to be soft in Finland.
- Concentration to urban regions continues.
- Mobile is the primary channel for most consumers.
- The demand for print media continues to decrease.
- Willingness to pay for digital news media content increases.
- The role of international technology giants continues to strengthen in many areas.
- Competition in the recruitment business tightens.
- Retail sector invests in its own media solutions.
Technology and data
- The role of technology and automation in all business functions and processes increases.
- Data, its ownership and databased business solutions have a major importance for business in the future.
- Rapid changes in the technological operating environment require investments in competence. The competition for skilled employees is intense.
Marketing and advertising
- Marketing structural change and marketing automation continues.
- Print advertising continues to decrease.
- New forms of digital advertising e.g. content marketing importance grows.
- The regulatory environment continues to be complexed.
- Data privacy regulation, GDPR and ePrivacy, place more and more demands for businesses.