Below you will find answers to the most common questions posed by investors interested in Alma Media.
1. What are Alma Media's financial goals?
Alma Media's long-term financial targets are as follows:
- annual growth in the digital business over 12%
- return on investment (ROI) over 17% per year
- dividend over 50% of earnings per share
See our Financial targets and achievements page for more detailed information.
2. What is Alma Media's dividend policy like?
In order to support growth, Alma Media aims to allocate investments,
repayment of debt and distribution of profit optimally from the
company's and investors' point of view. On average, Alma Media will
distribute over one half of the financial result for the period as
dividends. See the history of dividend payout ratio above.
3. What is the future outlook of Alma Media?
Have a look at our outlook,
which we update quarterly, in connection with the publication of the
interim report. We continuously renew our operations and products to
better anticipate the changing needs of consumers and media clients.
Digital consumer and business services play an important role in Alma's
4. Isn't printing newspapers a declining business?
Through digitalising newspaper content Alma Media is able to make the newspaper business profitable.
5. What is Alma Media's vision and strategy?
Read about our strategy from Strategy page.
6. How has media advertising developed in Finland recently?
We follow media advertising spending on a monthly basis through statistics compiled by Kantar TNS
7. How has the circulation of Alma Media newspapers developed recently?
The paid circulation of Alma Media’s regional newspapers has
declined, as the popularity of digitally distributed content has
increased. The sales volume for Iltalehti, which relies on single-copy
sales, has also decreased due to changes in buying habits and the
digitalisation of content. More information on the circulation of
Finnish newspapers is available on the Finnish Audit Bureau of
8. How much of Alma Media's net sales comes from the online business?
In 2018 the online business accounted for 48% of Alma Media's annual net sales.
9. How much of Alma Media's net sales and adjusted operating profit comes from the business outside Finland?
In 2018 approximately 20% of revenue and 45% of adjusted operating profit.
10. Does Alma Media have ongoing share-based incentive schemes?
Yes. Click here to read more about incentive systems for key personnel.
11. What is Alma Media's publication schedule for financial information?
Alma Media publishes three interim reports (typically published in
the end of April, July and October), the financial statements bulletin
(typically published in February) and the annual report (published in
March) every year. Have a look at the exact dates at our Calendar.
12. Who are the largest shareholders in Alma Media?
A list of the largest shareholders, updated
monthly, is available in the Share & Shareholders section of this
13. How do I disclose changes in shareholdings?
Shareholders of listed companies have an obligation to notify both
Finnish Financial Supervisory Authority (FSA) and the listed company of
changes in their holdings and voting rights. Listed companies have an
obligation to publicly disclose the shareholder's notification.
Under the provisions of the Securities Markets Act, changes in
holdings must be disclosed when the holding reaches, exceeds or falls
below 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 or 90 per cent or two thirds of the
voting rights or the numbers of shares of the company.
Notifications of changes in holdings or voting rights must be made
without undue delay. Further information can be found on FSA’s web pages.The flagging notice to Alma Media can be sent by email to the address email@example.com .